- 1 LB. uncooked rigatoni
- 1 Tbl. olive oil (I use virgin olive oil)
- 1 large chopped white onion
- 1 LB. Hot or sweet italian sausage (please remove casings-the casing comes off a lot easier when the sausage is put in the freezer for 30 minutes)
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 14.5 ounce can of undrained diced tomatoes
- 12 oz. of tomato sauce
- 1 – 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 Tbl. fresh basil (I have an herb garden) dried basil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp. coarse black pepper
- 1/2+ heavy cream
- 1/2+ grated parmesan cheese
heat olive oil in a large pan and cook onion until it starts to soften.
break the sausage into pieces and add to frying pan. When sausage is no longer pink, add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil, salt, red pepper flakes and black pepper and simmer until thickened, about 12-15 minutes
meanwhile cook pasta according to the directions on the package
drain pasta in a large serving bowl
add cream and simmer another 5 minutes
turn heat off
add parmesan cheese
pour sauce over pasta and toss to coat.
partially adapted from a recipe by Michele Heloge