I owned a cafe in Aurora, Co and I had a Mexican
gentleman come in and teach me how to make this yummy chili.
1 1/2 to 2 lbs. pork roast
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 – 2 qts. chicken stock
- 6-8 cups water
- 1 large chopped sweet yellow onion
- 1 head garlic (add towards the end of the frying cycle so garlic doesn’t burn)
- 3 anaheim chilies
- 3 medium tomatillos
- 4 serrano chilies
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes with juice (optional – I’ve made it both ways)
- 6 (4 1/2 ounce) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. In a large Dutch oven, add 3-4 T olive oil and brown the small pieces of diced pork (dredged in flour) in the oil. Do this in small batches on all sides over medium high heat. Once the meat has been thoroughly browned, remove it and set is aside. Add the diced onion to the pot and stir, making sure to get all of the tasty brown bits from the bottom, and cook until they are translucent, then add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes or until you can really smell the garlic. Turn the heat down to medium low.an
2. Then add the chicken stock, 6 cans – 4-5 oz each) chopped green chiles, jalapeños, serranos, 3 Anaheim chilies, garlic salt, pepper and cumin.
3. Meanwhile, in a blender, add tortillas and enough chicken stock to cover them and blend until all of the tortillas are completely broken up and incorporated into the broth (if adding tomatillos, blend them at this time too until they are a smooth texture). Add everything back into the deep pot including any accumulated juices from the pork, cover and slowly simmer, stirring occasionally, over low heat for about 3-4 hours or until the cubes of pork can be broken apart with the back of a spoon.
4. Serve with warm flour tortillas and garnish with sour cream, tomatoes, cilantro, queso fresco/cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, avocados, green onions or anything else you think might be delicious.
The more it sets, the hotter and spicier it gets. Gotta love the hot lips.