VERY SIMPLE AND DELICIOUS!
INGREDIENTS FOR STUFFING SQUID
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 can italian tuna in oil (progresso makes it)
- 1 large onion, finely diced, about 1 1/2 cups
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel seed
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 pounds cleaned medium squid, with tentacles (about 18-20)
- INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE
- 3-4 cans of tomato paste
- fresh chopped parsley
- fresh chopped oregano
- fresh basil
- 1/2 cup fresh minced onion
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- Brown stuffed squid and tentacles in olive oil. (JUST BROWN THEM – they need to cook in sauce the last hour)
- PREPARING RED SAUCE:
- Brown 2-3 cans of tomato paste with spices in leftover olive oil.
- Add spices. When tomato paste is browned, add 3-4 cans of tomato puree.
- Simmer for 2-3 hours / then add stuffed squid & tentacles. Simmer for 1 hour.